Should College Athletes Be Paid?

Thursday, April 24, 2003
As a public service I am re-posting this which is from my original blog. Toward the end of my other blog this became one of the more popular searches to my site. Most of what you find on the net for this subject are all paid essays. Obviously this is not one of them. Feel free to use my ideas but just make sure you quote me or reference me if you use any of it in a paper. Otherwise you could get caught for plagerism :)

Someone found their way to my site by doing a search for 'Should college atheletes get paid'. Not that I've ever talked about this but in one of my blogs I did talk about athletes getting paid and how my mom put me through college. This subject is interesting to me so I figure I would touch it.

I know its not like me but I really don't have a strong opinion about this subject. I really do see both sides of this argument. I tend to lean toward no, college athletes should not get paid. Here is my reasoning. I actually have to start with the opposite view, Athletes should get paid. Basketball and Football teams bring millions of dollars to the universities. Not only do the directly bring in cash through ticket sales, merchandise, and fees for playoff appearances but they bring in money through higher alumni donations and higher enrollments. They put in grueling hours both practicing, training, and going to school (well some athletes). However NCAA rules stipulate that an athlete can not have a job that pays him/her more than $2000 during the year.

To me this is a little unfair. The reasoning behind this is you could mask paying the athlete by giving him a bogus job where he does nothing but gets paid a huge amount of money. Now I had a summer job that once paid me a lot. I also kept a job during the year where I worked 8-10 hours a week and probably collected several thousand during the year. Now under NCAA rules I wouldn't be eligible to play. I didn't do anything unscrupulous. I definitely didn't get the jobs because I'm an athlete. Why should an athlete be treated differently? Probably less than 1% of college athletes have the ability to go pro and make millions yet all athletes are governed under the same rules.

That being said, college athletes do get a full scholarship. This can be worth upwards of $120,000. A lot of athletes don't care but this is quite a deal. Further there would be terrible inequities in the system. Using my reasoning only Men's Basketball and Football players would get paid. Well how fair is that? You know that would never fly. Further, at least in Basketball, thereare other choices now. There are developmental basketball leagues out there. Athletes have other, albeit less desirable, options than to go to college. I don't buy the argument that they put in so much time training and practicing and get nothing in return. My roommate in college was a world-class rower. He probably put in more hours training than anyone else I knew yet he still found time to study and be a model student. We all have our own unique situations which take large amounts of time.

I don't have all the answers to this question but this was my 2 cents.


If you like this post you may like these other post:
Athletes
Overpaid
sports

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What if a player is hurt. Shouldn't htey then get some type of compensation? their scholarship is tooken away from them and now they are forced to find a job injuried to put them through college how fair is that. After they have contributed all their time and effort to sports to get nothing in return no education unless parents could afford it and no chance at going to the pros if thats what they were aimng for

T said...

Who said life was fair?

If players are that worried about it, they should go overseas rather than go to college. If that doesn't work for them, they could take out insurance policies much like Matt Leinhart's family has on him.

Anonymous said...

they already are, they get scholarships

Anonymous said...

everybody, do you want to start witnessing college athletes getting paid all this money and becoming even more arrogant than they even are now? NO!! This is a time when they are fighting and playing hard, so at the next level they can earn the big bucks.They dont deserve to get paid.

T said...

Even though I technically agree with you Jordan, I disagree with your argument.

It really is not about what an athlete does or not deserve. The problem with that argument is that it implies someone is gets to decide what someone does or does not deserve. Who is that person? Is it you?

Anonymous said...

My problem with this issue is how to view college athletics? Is a job or not? Just because you put in hours doing something, does that mandate being paid? If so, what about all of the hours people put in as volunteer's or how about missionary work?
I certainly think that those supporting payment are completely disregarding the free education issue.
So I think that college athlete's are playing for the love of the game at this level. If they are gifted enough to receive a scholarship and free education that is compensation.
For those college athlete's that feel they should be paid I say, "turn pro". Pro is short for professional and that is a job...

Anonymous said...

Your writing is very poor. That goes to almost all of you.

Your points are invalid due you false premises.

Not all college athletes get full scholarships. In fact, most are given small scholarships and have to come up with the rest on their own.

If a college scholarship athlete is injured, he or she is still eligible for his or her scholarship as long as he is willing to remain on the team and attend normal team activities.

-A College Scholarship Athlete

Anonymous said...

Hey my name is jon and your paper or writing is REALY goin to help me on my research paper,so thanks,but im kinda thinking that athletes should gett paid because they work verrrryyyy hard and some dont even get the scholarship they been promised.