Wikipedia is Fast!

Saturday, December 29, 2007
The news just came out that Rick Neuheisel will be the next Head football coach of UCLA. I went to Wikipedia to look him up because I didn't know much about his history as a player (I had only heard of him because of the scandal that caused him to be fired).

Well, I get to Neuheisel's Wikipedia page, and it is already updated with the fact that he was hired by UCLA. It wasn't any more than 4 hours ago that the news story was broken, and there it was already in Wikipedia.

This is something that is really changing the world. Certainly it has already, but we are only seeing the very early stages of it. Information just flows so much faster now than it ever has in the past. Things like this get updated in real time, and that has profound effects downstream.

2 comments:

David Cho said...

I see it as our "notes" system at GNP. Everything you do, you write it down for the WHOLE DEPARTMENT to see right away.

Remember "notes"?

T said...

I do remember Notes. Wow, that's a blast from the past. I don't think I thought of that since I left CTO.