Speaking of Treating Animals like People

Sunday, March 09, 2008
Last post, I had talked about how we anthropomorphize our pets. I was reading through various news reports and came across a story about how a man took his dog paragliding and ended up getting stuck in a tree.

Seriously, what the heck? Why on earth would anyone take their pet paragliding? Is their some belief that because humans enjoy the activity, the pet will too? Is it the thought that you love your pet, you love paragliding, and the two would go great together? Is this person trying to treat his beloved dog by giving him the thrill of a lifetime?

I actually think the opposite. I think taking your pet on any sort of dangerous activity like this is going to scare the crap out of it. It scares people too but people are able to translate that fear into excitement, the same can not be said for pets. There is no way I can see how a pet would actually enjoy this activity. Does anyone actually think otherwise?

0 comments: