The Americana At Brand

Sunday, May 18, 2008
I went to the new Americana mall in Glendale. It's a new outdoor mall with apartments that sit above the shops. Much like the Paseo Colorado in Pasadena. Overall, it was pretty nice. There weren't many shops open yet nor were there lots of places to grab a quick bite to eat, but I can see how this place will be successful for years to come.

Probably not such great news for the adjacent Glendale Galleria. I'm not much for the Glendale Galleria, something about the atmosphere just isn't right there so I prefer a place more like the Americana. A couple of things to note about it though

  • It's a very open mall. This is good and bad. On hot days like today, there are very few places you can get away from the sun.
  • If you don't like American Capitalism, don't come here. It is way over the top and excessive.
  • Most of the stores are the higher-end boutique shops, so I'm not so sure they have a lot ot offer your regular joe consumers.
  • The water fountain seems to have an hourly shoe set to music. Reminded me of some of the shows I've seen in Vegas. See second point.
  • Paying for parking just sucks. You can get validated and not have to pay but it still is a pain in the ass.
  • The number of workers there was unbelievable. There were people to help you everywhere. Valet, people guiding traffic, people helping at the pay stations. There was even this huge hotel lobby looking desk for what seemed like the residents of the mall.
Not so sure I will go back too often. Wasn't a lot for me there. But not a bad place to go see once.

0 comments: