Smart TV

Wednesday, June 30, 2004
Yesterday I was flipping around the tube and stopped on PBS. It was showing a biography on Ulysses S. Grant. There really wasn't anything better on so I stopped it there and continued doing what I was doing. (I rarely watch TV and only watch TV. I like to multi-task and have the TV on as background noise)

When I was younger I use to watch PBS all the time. First it was Sesame Street, than it was the nature shows, and then it was all the science shows. Somewhere along the way I stopped. I don't know why but I think it was probably because I started watching much more mainstream shows like Friends and ER.

After watching the biography I felt a lot smarter. I knew a lot of the things they talked about since I'm very interested in the Civil War but I still felt like I had learned a great deal. Is it a coincidence that I think I was a much smarter child than I am an adult? Maybe watching TV, at least the wrong TV, really does make you dumber.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Watching the wrong TV can certainly make you feel dumber. It is very easy to settle for amusing instead of interesting. And, as America's Funniest Home Videos has taught us, it is easier to make an amusing show than it is to make an interesting show. Amusing programs need only show some guy getting hit in the crotch with a football to get a laugh. Intresting programs must do more than that to catch our attention - for instance, they might have the narrator explain the political ramifications of the Teapot Dome scandal before he gets hit in the crotch with a football. ;o)

Kat said...

it's good to know garrett and i aren't the only geeks. he bought the pbs civil war dvd box set and we take it with us so we can watch it when we travel. i love the pbs history series because it is actually interesting!

T said...

Who are you calling a geek :-P