"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Ghandi

Saturday, June 05, 2004
I realize something about myself. I'm very different than most people. I actually like my job which I'm realizing more and more is not true for most people.

This week has been a long week work wise. I've worked on average something like 12 hours each day. I have left work each day only to come home, boot up the computer, grab dinner, and sit and do some work. I will be going into the office this weekend to hopefully finish up a project I have been working on. And the thing is, I don't really mind any of it. Sure I'm a little tired, sure I'm underpaid, and sure I would like to change the way certain things work at my company, but overall I would have to say that I at least like what I do. I can't control some of the other things but in the little world I have carved out in my company I actually like what goes on.

I'm not sure what it is about me that makes me this way. Is it that I just like my job and that I don't mind putting in the long hours or is it that I can find happiness in the work I do regardless of the situation? I could make an argument for either case.

How is it that people get stuck at jobs they hate? Everyone growing up has these dreams of what they want to be when they grow up. For most, these dreams have long since vanished and they are faced with the harsh reality that is their life. I'm not saying that when I was five I wanted to be the manager for a software department. All I wanted (besides to be Superman which I have a hunch isn't going to happen) was to do be remembered for doing something great. I still have that as a goal in life and I plan on making it happen. Maybe I'm different because I've refused to let go of this dream. Am I crazy or are more people than I realize really happy where they are and are on the right path to doing what they have always wanted to do?

0 comments: