The Great Filibuster

Tuesday, May 03, 2005
I love my alma mater. Going on at Princeton right now is the Frist Filibuster. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist is a princeton alum and is contemplating "going nuclear" in the Senate. In protest, the Princeton community has set up a piece of theater and is performing a non-stop filibuster in front of the very building which Bill Frist's family donated money to create.

I'm glad that the protest has been allowed to continue. It is important that all ideas, even those you don't agree with, get heard. That being said, I will say that eliminating the Filibuster in the Senate is a bad idea. It is vital in our country that minority opinions are heard. It is important that the majority does not impose its beliefs of the minority. The same of course can be said of the minority opinion, they should not be allowed to overrule the majority. Where is the line?

I know what I think about this, but that may be a topic for another day.

0 comments: