Harry Potter Mania

Friday, July 22, 2005
Last Friday I went with my girlfriend to the movies. It just so happens that the movie theater is in the same parking lot as the Barnes and Nobles. Our movie ended at 11:45 or so and we walked out into a very full parking lot. Now, this parking lot can get quite full but at 11:45 at night it is unusual that it is so full that it is full of stalkers. In fact, the movie theater is normally the only thing open that late. But on this night the lot was completely full with people following us around waiting for our spot.

It didn't occur to me till the next morning what was going on. I went to Target that morning and bought my copy of Harry Potter: The Half Blood Prince. There was no line and so I walked up to the counter and paid for it without any hassle. But then it occurred to me what was going on. People were lining up waiting to buy the book at midnight. I just really don't get this behavior. I was able to buy the book, only 9 hours later, without having to make any sort of extra trip nor wait in line with other obsessed fans. What possess people to have to be the first on the block to get a book, watch a movie, etc. is beyond me. If I can do the exact same thing only slightly later, without the hassle of waiting in line, you better believe I'm going to do it.

Oh, and it was cheaper at Target than anywhere else.

I finished the book already and will probably give a review in my next post.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I couldn't agree w/ you more. I even feel the same way when the item being sold is in such great demand that I might not be able to get it for a few months.

David Cho said...

Hey, I will be the FIRST on the block to get Windows Vista.