Opera is Now Free

Tuesday, September 20, 2005
The Opera browser is now free. I'm using it right now and so far it is OK. Blogger doesn't seem to play nice with it as I don't have as many options to help me bold, underline, etc. as I'm used to having under Firefox or IE.

I have heard good things about it in the past because it used to cost $40. So I will give it a whirl and see if I like it. This post will change over time as I have more experience with the browser.

Positives
  • Seems to load faster than Firefox but maybe not as fast as IE (which cheats anyway)
  • Bookmark migration was fast and painless
  • Nice, clean look
  • Has a lot more built in tab options (although you can achieve the same effect with Firefox plug ins)
  • Password manager is more powerful than Firefox
  • Tells you automatically that a website has a RSS feed and allows you, with one click, to subscribe to it.

Negatives
  • Doesn't work with some sites very well (Blogger specifically)
  • Doesn't have a Google Toolbar (but does have a search bar with Google as the default)
  • I don't like how the buttons are laid out.

2 comments:

Kat said...

i never use the password manager. ever.

T said...

I generally don't either for any site I go to that has any of my financial records on it.