Why I Don't Make New Year's Resolutions

Wednesday, January 05, 2005
No offense to those of you that do, but I actually really don't understand why people, at the start of the calendar year, make New Years resolutions.

First off, I attempt to "improve" myself throughout the year. When I notice I have some problem I attempt to correct it immediately. What if I thought I was overweight right now? Would I wait the 360 days until the New Year to do something about it? Of course not.

Second, I think a lot of people set themselves up for failure. New Year's Resolutions are often very lofty and ambitious. Soon people realize that they can't quite make it and they get discouraged. Failure breeds failure. That is not to say that you should not set your goals really high, I would be the last to say such a thing, but you should have a realistic way to achieve said goals. Just saying something like you are going to "find the love of my life" and hoping she is the next girl to walk down the street isn't a very good plan. People make lofty goals, don't create a plan to achieve it, and then when faced with failure become very discouraged. This only adds to the problem the resolution was attempting to solve.

Of course this isn't me trying to say all New Year's resolutions are bad. I can see value in creating a new chapter in life with the turning of the calendar. It just has never worked for me that way.

1 comments:

Susan said...

T, you and I are in agreement. I decided to pick something each month to work on. This month, it is eat more fruits and vegetables. I love them but don't plan them in my diet enough. So far, so good. I have a case of fuji apples and clementines. Yum. And I've been eating veggies each day plus my fruit. Easy, I know but I'm hoping it becomes a habit. Next month - more exercise. I'll let you know next year how it worked out.